Sunday, April 15, 2012

Qumran

On the shore of the Dead Sea lies the remains of an ancient city of the Essenes. During the time leading up to the first Jewish revolt they were a society of scribes, copying scripture and writing other documents. Many of these papers have been found and are known as the Dead Sea Scrolls. The site is historically significant, but honestly, there's not much to see. The morning I left for the Dead Sea I called my mom and she was overjoyed that I was going to get to see Qumran. This post is dedicated to her enthusiasm ;-) I imagine Brynn will get a kick out of this, too!

WoW MoM WoW
The Cave where most of the scrolls were found
Red & Black, baby!


Love,

Mark

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Mark, Wow... Haha thanks for the lovely dedication! Oh WOW! :-). But seriously, I have enjoyed studying about the dead sea scrolls! Glad you got to see the caves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dead Sea Scroll caves! What an amazing thing to see with your own eyes! THAT is a privilege!!!

    ReplyDelete